Monday 23 August 2010

Central & East Java Trip - Day 5

--1st Stop: Singosari Temple--
Candi Singosari, located about 12 kilometres north of Malang, is one of the monuments built in memory of Kertanagara, last king of Singosari, who died when his palace was seized by a usurper in 1292. The temple was partially restored in the 1930's. The roof, in its original state, would have mirrored the cosmic Mt Mahameru of Hindu mythology, four lesser pinnacles on each side surrounding a taller, central 'peak'. Yet it seems that the temple was never completed. The impressive kala heads, highly detailed on the roof, become mere outlines above the entrance and wall niches lower down, showing that the fine carving was executed from the top downwards. For some unknown reasons, the artists appear to have abandoned their work. (credits: eastjava.com)

The temple is quite small. Only one structure standing in the compound.

A statue which was still kept in the temple.
--2nd Stop: Lunch--
Another vegetarian meal. Food was quite delicious, despite looking plain.
--3rd Stop: Madakaripura Waterfall--
Madakaripura waterfall is located in Sapih village, Lombang district, East Java, not far from Mount Bromo area. Madakaripura is a sacred visiting area comprising lines of waterfalls. its reaches a height of 200 meters from the bottom. This waterfall have a related history with a great Prime Ministry, Gajah Mada, who strongly struggled to unify the whole territory of Indonesia under span of control of Majapahit, and said as “the last residence for Gajah Mada”. This spectacular waterfall lies hidden at the end of a deep valley in the foothills of the Tengger range. The water has cascades from the dense forest above. The primary attraction is its natural environment that is encircled by 7 waterfalls and caves. (credits: Wikipedia)
I didn't not know the trek to the waterfall was so "exciting". I've read about walking under waterfalls, but I did not anticipate crossing rivers a few times....haha! This is the first part of the trek which we needed to cross the river. Why? Coz' the pavement was destroyed somehow.
It was difficult trying to cross the river with my flip-flop. In fact, I nearly lost one of my flip-flop for a few times. Lolz~ Gotta thank Anjar, the driver and a few local guys who helped us along the way. (Pic credits: Tuan)
Saw some small waterfalls along the way.
I forgot how many times we needed to cross the river. May be 3-4 times? Anyway, I was bad at balancing....hahaha! (Pic credits: KH)
This was quite scary!!! I gotta climb down that slippery small cliff and there was hardly any flat piece of land for me to step properly. I started to think how I am gg back later on. Hahaha! (Pic credits: KH)
Amazing waterfall.
There were about 3-4 smaller waterfalls here. We actually walked under them in order to see the big waterfall. Luckily E.W brought along our disposable raincoats, or else we wld be totally drenched.
A closer view of the big waterfall. Actually we cld still walk further down, as I believed there were a few more smaller waterfalls. However, we were told that the water wld much deeper (wld reach our waists) if we continue to trek. So, we decided to end our trek here and returned to starting point.
Walking back~~
--4th Stop: Cemara Indah Hotel--
My bermuda shorts was kinda wet, and with our flip-flops, we were going to our final destination of the day - Cemorolawang Village in Mount Bromo area. I thought it was a nice experience to wear so little at a super cold place. I think temp at night was about 10 degrees celcius?
We reached Cemara Indah at 6pm, but the whole area was pitch dark. It was very cold. Sorry to say, I think I am one of the two who brought winter jackets. Hahaha! Tuan said this kind of temp was only in Autumn!!! Terrible~ Can't imagine how cold it wld be during winter!
There were so many kiddos selling winter apparels, and E.W & I bought gloves. Very very cheap ok? May Leng lao shi bought quite a few things, and we gotta stop her from buying more. Lolz~
KH & my room. I've read a lot of reviews about the guest houses in Mount Bromo area. The good ones were expensive and located further away from the crater rim, while the average ones had better location, but with basic facilities. I decided to change the original guest house to Cemara Indah, simply because the toilet facilities in the former was quite bad. Haha! I did not make a wrong choice, Cemara Indah's location was bloody good. Stunning view of Mount Bromo (do check out Day 6 review).
The toilet was nt that bad la...phew~However, it was hard to get hot water. KH and I have to bathe separately in Aunt Jo & E.W's rooms. I heard KH's "screaming" for hot water....hahaha!
Dinner time! The ambience of the restaurant was quite nice, and we were the only Asian group there. Saw another Asian girl chatting away in French (i think). This is my java coffee.
My corn soup. Did not look appetizing here, but it tasted very different from the creamy corn soup we have in SG. I think there were egg & meat inside. Tasted a little salty, but it was quite delicious!
E.W's vegetable soup.
E.W's chap chai main course.
I regretted ordering this Chicken Mushroom main course. Shld have chose something else!!
We returned to our room, and KH tried to snap pics of the super bright full moon. It's a pity that my digi cam cld not capture a gd shot.
Gotta slp with my jacket & gloves. Have to wake up at 2.30am the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment